Junior Academy - Grades 7 and 8
The Junior Academy is our program for Grades 7 and 8 which includes formal learning opportunities, community building and volunteering. The Junior Academy allows you to choose when you learn, how you interact and what you experience.
Build your year how YOU would like it! Fulfil your hours in different “departments” to maximize your program of Lifelong Learning here at Temple Israel. Our 3 departments, LIMUD, AVODAH and TZEDEK offer flexibility, choice and exciting options.
- Limud (Lifelong Learning) – For grade 7: Total of 2 trimesters per year, choose 1 course from Fall trimester and 1 from Winter OR Spring. For grade 8: choose 1 course from any trimester.
- Avodah (Community Engagement) – choose 4 Temple programs, services, festivals per year.
- Tzedek (Social Justice) – choose 4 volunteering events/youth groups and 1 weekend trip. Grade 7: Day Out in New York City; Grade 8: Social Action Trip to New Orleans.
SOUNDS GOOD! GIVE ME SOME BULLET POINTS ABOUT THE PROGRAM.
- Classes for our Limud track are from 6:00-7:15pm on various week days.
- Full list of Limud course choices come soon!
- Fall Trimester is September-December, Winter Trimester is January-March, Spring Trimester is April-June.
- You are always welcome to do more than your required trimesters at NO EXTRA COST.
- ANY community event can count for the Avodah track.
- Trip costs are either totally included in your tuition or heavily subsidized.
- Tuition includes membership and dues for events to the age-appropriate youth group programs
- All elements (compulsory and extra activities) earn you credits, which we call “Chai Hours” – collect Chai Hours for subsidized INTERNATIONAL TRIPS in grades 10-12.
EEK! I’VE MISPLACED THOSE PIECES OF PAPER WITH ALL THE INFORMATION!
Don’t worry! You can download them here:
- Junior Academy Grade 7 Program flyer HERE
- Junior Academy Grade 7 Course Choice HERE
- Junior Academy Grade 8 flyer HERE
- Junior Academy Grade 8 Course Choice HERE
- New Orleans Trip flyer HERE
The Academy - Grades 9-12
The Academy is our innovative program for Grades 9-12 which includes formal learning opportunities, community building and volunteering. The Academy allows you to choose what you learn, how you interact and what you experience.
HOW WILL I MAKE THIS FIT INTO MY SCHEDULE?
It’s up to you! There are several ways you can get involved. We recommend you come to all Sunday sessions as our Sunday program is the “backbone” of the Academy, but after that, you can choose!
HOW DOES THE TRIP WORK?
Almost every Academy student joins in the trip each year – Grade 9: Civil Rights Trip to the South; Grades 10-12: International trips, including Prague, Italy, Spain and Israel! You won’t want to miss out! Academy students pay a very subsidized rate for the trip.
BUT I’M BUSY WITH SCHOOL
Aren’t we all! Don’t worry, our program is made to be flexible, social, and can also HELP with your school work (many students have written college essays about their Youth Group or Trip experiences). Ask any one of our Academy students and they will tell you that it is easy to make this program work for you.
OK, I’M OUT OF EXCUSES…
Good! Sign up and see you soon!
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE SUNDAY EVENING PROGRAM
Our Sunday evening Academy sessions take place once a month, 5:30pm-8pm. Spend Sunday evenings with your peers and engage in learning what YOU want to learn! Different components make up our evening, including volunteer projects, guest speakers, learning opportunities where you choose your course (Honors courses, theatre, music, social studies, sport, art, media, film and much more) and of course… dinner! Community service hours available!
DO YOU HAVE A TEEN YOUTH GROUP?
Why… yes we do! For Grades 9-12, our youth group YETI is part of a larger community of Reform Jewish youth groups across North America. As a member of NFTY (North American Federation of Temple Youth), we work to create programs throughout the year to engage students in a Jewish, friendly and social environment. Monthly Shabbat dinner club, volunteer programs, Broadway shows, entrepreneurial opportunities and more!
I’M SURE I HAD A FLYER AT ONE POINT, BUT NOW I CAN’T FIND IT. CAN I HAVE ANOTHER ONE?
No problem! Here they are: